Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Meaning of Life

This is a part of a post in the newspaper about capitalism and materialism from the perspective of a upper-middle class. This provoked some inner thoughts in me.....

"But if one is blinded by materialism, there would be no end to wanting and hankering. After the Ferrari, what next? An Aston Martin? After the Hermes Birkin handbag, what can one upgrade to?

Neither an Aston Martin nor an Hermes Birkin can make us truly happy or contented. They are like dust, a fog obscuring the true meaning of life, and can be blown away in the twinkling of an eye.

When the end approaches and we look back on our lives, will we regret the latest mobile phone or luxury car that we did not acquire? Or would we prefer to die at peace with ourselves, knowing that we have lived lives filled with love, friendship and goodwill, that we have helped some of our fellow voyagers along the way and that we have tried our best to leave this world a slightly better place than how we found it? "

In our pursuits of material weath, we should not forget the true meaning of life, what is important to us. To me, my family (my wife, son, parents and sibilings) is very important to me and I should spend quality time with them and help them in whatever I can.

Last year was a bad time for me where I injured my neck. This year, I will make conscientious effort to take care of my health, eating more healthly, having adequate sleep, doing more housework to make my house clean and conducive for me and my family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Can I just check whether you are still holding on to Celestial shares as at 18 Feb 09? The shares have dropped like crazy, and I have some at 0.375. Am wondering whether I should sell them off. Please advise if you can. Thanks a million in advance!! =)

littlecupid said...

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I have been extremly busy with work/personal commitment. You have to make your judgement call as to whether this is a crisis or golden opportunity. Do your due dilligence and consider the risk reward ratio.
I have been rather open with my positions in my blog, and from there you will know my plans. Good luck.