Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Capitulation ...Blood on the street

Wednesday.
STI is now down to 2035 (down 125+ points) on 9 October.
S&P has been down 5 consecutive days, and down about 15 % just last 5 days.
VIX has also reach a high of 50+.
European banks are now feeling the heat, with the Iceland nationalizing 2 banks. UK spending 1 trillion to prop up banks. UK is now down 5% to 4300. There was blood in the street, and reaching capitulation level.

I closed my S&P shorts at 978. I had wanted to hold it but the futures profit was too good.
I also closed my SGX shorts at 5.61. I expected a rally coming soon.
I closed my SIMSCI at 262. I actually put an order at 255, but the stupid DBSVickers call me and say cannot reach my price in the morning which was 263 (fr 268). This distracted me and emotions overcame me. I should have waited as after being down so long, and Dow went down another 4% yesterday, capitulation will reach in the afternoon. SIMSCI close at 252. Next time, think for 10 seconds and call him back.

Went into DBS 14.88 (fr 15.6+), Keppel 5.61 (fr 6.1)...it has actually been dropping 18 % last 3 days. (fr 7.2), Swiber (0.78) and Celestial (0.43).

Lesson learnt, go for big caps... for small caps have to catch extreme (10%) at least.

No comments: