Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Investment Strategy and Sentiment Sep07

Investment Strategy
After the recent rebound, I was not able to particpate fully in the recovery. On the following day after the Fed rate cut, I entered extra 13% in ASL Marine, CSC and Hiap Seng. Although it gave me decent returns, it was insignificant compared to my portfolio.

I discover that I have to refine my investment strategy due to my size of my portfolio. My past investment strategy on looking at small caps is not as effective as I cannot enter and exit as easily.

1) I cannot concentrate on small caps, but have to look at the mid and blue chips right now. The small cap volumn is too small to go in or out.
2) Each entry will have to have at least 13% to be effective.
3) With my bearish sentiment, I will have to have a hit and run strategy on the blue chips. What are interesting ? UOB (Share buyback) 18.2, OCBC (Ningbo IPO) 7.6, Keppel Corp 9.8 (Oil Rigs), Singtel (Bharti)

Investment Sentiment
With the elections coming in 2008, I believe Helicopter Berneke will pay lip service on the inflation topic, and flood easy money to the economy. He is handpick by Bush to take over Greenspan. Will he cut this sep18 ? Although that is the worst option, I believe he will.

I think the US economy will tailspin into stagflation, and while US Stock market may go higher, I prefer to stay in the sideline. Like what Warren Buffet mention,

...Orgies tend to be wildest toward the end. It's like being Cinderella at the ball. You know that at midnight everything's going to turn back to pumpkins & mice. But you look around and say, 'one more dance,' and so does everyone else. The party does get to be more fun -- and besides, there are no clocks on the wall. And then suddenly the clock strikes 12, and everything turns back to pumpkins and mice."

No comments: