Sunday, August 1, 2010

May- July Had to take over my Dad's business

May Investment

Divested most of my shares (was caught by part of the fall) and shifted to gold & silver. After making some profits, my mind was affected by something that happend to my family. Anyway after clearing my Gold & Silver profits, I shorted Oil at 70 (Should have shorted S&P 1080), the lesson learnt (again) is to short the relevant one.

Portfolio July - YTD up 10% (excluding property taken as constant) - 20% Property, 40% shares, 40% cash

I had to take care of my family business.

1) First thing was to ensure I had the signatory authority so that my dad business can continue (pay supplier etc)

2) Check for outstanding payment - Eg. Singtel, CPF (pay by post), income tax etc

3) Next get the aging list and chase for outstanding payment from customers. Had to make sure cash comes in. My dad is an excellent Salesperson, but business-wise, he needs to convert this into cash, otherwise there are alot of bad debts. Some customers especially overseas are very hard to chase for payment. It is really tough to get money from customers. The accounts were terrible also, some payment were not recorded correctly and I had to investigate several times and correct them. There were also several bad paymasters and had to get them to commit dates to repay. After which many follow ups and even threatening for legal actions. We had to differentiate between

  • i) Bad paymasters and no business dealings already (Tough action)
  • ii) Bad paymasters and still have business dealings (Have to be polite but firm). Also have to withhold sending of goods unless they pay.
  • iii) Those overseas r the most headache

4) Other operations, - Tried to resolve the dot-matrix printer problem but unsuccessful - Removed a wuauclt.exe virus (takes up hugh memory as I thought that could be the problem) - Downloaded - ATF Cleaner, DrWeb, SuperAntiSpyware, booted up in Safe mode and removed wuauclt.exe not in Windows32 directory. - Get Epson dot-matrix printer (280 + USB printer) from SLS and assembed it to work The above spent 3 days ( had to take 2 half days)

5) Got company on-line statement (Compay registry had to prepare a resolution) so that we can track TT payments/ cheques bounce, otherwise we have to wait till end of the month to countercheck payment

6) Spend my weekends doing inventory checks.

7) Now to get Singtel Giro and continue to chase for payment.

No comments: